University Of Victoria

Principles of Learning and Augmented Reality

In the future, augmented reality will be a major technology in the classroom. Augmented reality is the combination of the real world and virtual word discovered by Caudell and Mizell (1990).  In other words, it brings reality into an object. The best example is a virtual reality glasses. There have been new video games regarding virtual reality. When a person puts the glasses on, it is like they are that virtual setting. The person can look up, down, and to the side and still be in the virtual world. Here is a video to further explain.

This will be beneficial in my future classroom. This is because augmented reality can be a method to the connectionism theory. Thorndike’s connectionism theory is based on active learning principles. In this theory, connections are important to understand new material. This is where augmented reality can help student make connections. Showing students pictures and videos, can help students make those connections. For example, if teaching about pyramids in Egypt.  I would take a video of the landscape, then add cartoon characters, motions, and written text. This would allow the students to have a connection to the land. In addition, students have more freedom when designing projects. For example, in the apple augmented reality demonstration. A student was able to turn her 2D project into a live movement. The student uses it to show Earth’s inner layers. Also, students can create movies that combine reality and the virtual word. In addition, students can foresee there projects with augment reality. Students can design a draft then able to see the final outcome virtually.  Overall, augmented reality can be a fun and engaging way to learn new information.

Lee, Chris. (2018) Instructional Design Models and Theories: Connectionism. Arizona State University  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYd6xIz1q-U

Oculus. (2018) Change the Game. Youtube.

1. Emily Glass

Hi Rianne,
    I agree that AR will become a popular type of technology in the classroom. Not only will this allow students to make more profound connections to new material but it is advantageous for visual learners. Thank you for sharing!

2. violet

Hi! Thank you for your sharing! I think you give some great ideas on using AR in teaching, and they are attractive! Except for virtual reality glasses, I think the sample device such as Ipad and smartphones also is helpful during the teaching in the classroom. For example, the students can use their phones during classes and see the AR instead of only on the screen. Do you have any idea?

3. juliacelinski

Hi Rianne,

Thanks for sharing! I also agree that AR will be a huge addition to the classroom in the future. Students projects and assignments will be able to be completed in virtual ways for attractiveness and convenience of learning as well!

4. mikaylaolesen

Hi Rianne! I really like how you explained how you would use augmented reality in your own classroom one day. I think it really shows the benefits a tool like this can have on students in a classroom. I think your ideas will create a super engaging class that students will love and thrive in! Thanks for sharing 🙂

5. tobylee

Hi, thanks for sharing. I thought it was interested that you would use AR for teaching about Egypt by adding motion and people into it. I think it’s a great way to find a connection to the land, especially for a class like geography where it’s hard to get a grip on a different country! Thanks